Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Vice President of Oregon GUAA (Gallaudet University Alumni Association)


Please consider this blog as my gratitude for confidence that the Oregon chapter of Gallaudet University Alumni Association (GUAA) gave me by appointing me as its Vice President. 

I graduated from Gallaudet University in 1983 as a Thomas J. Watson, Jr. Fellow, a scholarship that enabled me to travel and study abroad for one year. I went to The Netherlands, the country of my birth, to examine human rights issues of the Deaf, using the 1983 United Nations Declaration of Human Rights as my research reference.

As a professor of American Sign Language (ASL) for more than 27 years, I routinely advise colleges and universities on pedagogical issues and have assisted Montgomery College in Maryland in facilitating and articulating an associate degree curriculum from 1994 10 2005. I am also very comfortable dealing with students and listening to their concerns because currently, and I teach ASL at Clackamas Community College. In this role, I advise students to identify their career goals and guide them as they identify job prospects and networking opportunities in the field of ASL. My additional academic experience includes a lecture tour on Audism, American Sign Language, and Deaf Hate Crimes.

My exposure to a variety of academic issues, coupled with academic advising experience, makes me very qualified for this Oregon GUAA Vice President position. I am able to make students comfortable, a necessary step to establishing open communication. I am also able to listen for the right details in order to have a comprehensive view of the problem. Lastly, I do look forward to using these skills and experiences to help Oregon GUAA.


Truly,


Carl Schroeder


Carl Schroeder, ‘83


1 comment: