Sunday, October 9, 2011

My Thoughts and Questions About ASL e-Portfolios



1. I would like to write this blog about the relational background of my personal and professional quest for an autonomous identity as a deaf professor and the ways in which my representations of those social connections offer new possibilities for my own growth as well as my students' growth in American Sign Language (ASL).

2. I do not affiliate myself solely on any specific professional organization or discipline, my self-representation does depend on my commitment to teach ASL in pursuit of "social justice."

3. My understanding of teaching ASL can be expressed through reflections of my commitment with my students.

4. I need to ask questions whether my ASL e-Portfolio model perpetuate and preserve a new understanding of that idea  as grounded in ASL education.

5. To what extent does the cultural ideal underlying my understanding of ASL?

6. Does it inform my understanding of ASL held by me with my students?

7. If authenticity of ASL is not central, then what alternative understanding of ASL stands in its place, and what are its implication for how I use my ASL e-Portfolio?

8. How might my e-Portfolio model better support creativity of my students?

9. How do my students develop a sense of ownership over their own ASL e-Portfolio?

10. How can I ensure that evaluative procedures are fair to my students being evaluated?

11. How might I help my students articulate ASL acquisition and development in their e-Portfolio?

12. How well shall the ASL e-Portfolio rubric (work in progress) I use support their acquisition in light of their values, experiences, and relationships?


~Professor Carl

Reference:

Reynolds, N. and Rice, R. 2006. Portfolio Teaching: A Guide for Instructors. New York: Bedford/St. Martin's.

No comments:

Post a Comment